Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day - time to remember


This photo is of the marker of a relative who was a casualty of the Civil War at the Battle of Prairie Grove (Arkansas). He is buried at the National Cemetery in Fayetteville, AR. This is one of the original National Cemeteries as designated by President Abraham Lincoln. Today, there is an American Flag in front of his and thousands of other headstones.

I often stop and think of those who have fought for us by orders of our Commander-in-Chief (C-in-C)(the President for those who flunked out of government). I think the reason is that so many in my family have served.

My grandfather served in World War I in France. He never talked about it but I've recently been sent a copy of a photo of his unit.

My father served in World War II in Europe. He arrived there a month after Normandy and was captured by the Germans about 3 weeks after that. He remained in a Stalag until it was liberated at the end of the war in Europe. Later he was sent to Korea during that war (even tho the government still calls it a conflict).

Dad died almost 6 years ago. His cremains are interred at Arlington National Cemetery.

My husband joined the Navy right out of High School. He served during Viet Nam and the only story I will relate is he received his draft notice while his ship was on Yankee Station (off the coast of Viet Nam). He did request that the draft board go ahead and take him back to appear before them - but they failed to do so. We were married before his sea duty started and our oldest was born 3 weeks after he returned to his base.

I do feel grateful that the attitude of the American people has changed since the Viet Nam War. Back then 'civilians' didn't see a difference between the members of the military and the military action they were ordered to participate in. Now, thankfully, we support the members of the military even if we do not support the actions of the military C-in-C.


To all of those who have served or are serving in our military, I thank you for your time, your service and your sacrifices.

No comments: