Monday, January 4, 2010

2010



Happy New Year to one and all. I think things have settle down a bit so maybe more can be written and I can accomplish a bit more than last year.

In 2009 I finished 2 pairs of socks and two sweaters. I think I would have finished at least one more sweater except for a family member's emergency surgery Thanksgiving weekend. What could have been tragic wasn't and he's home and
recovering. Hopefully the surgeon will release him to light duty at work tomorrow.

This time of year is a time for remembering - remembering friends and family who have passed, remembering good times and thinking. Not so much regrets or what-if's but trying to make sense of events and determining what route I think I want to follow.

Right now we're having snow flurries - and it's cold enough that they will stick around for a while. It's just a dusting - like the sprinkle of powdered sugar on a chocolate cupcake - the cake still shows through. We're at 15°F right now with the wind-chill taking it down to 4. It would be a great day for a fire in the fireplace and a mug of tea or chocolate and a good book. I haven't found gas logs for the fireplace yet - so that takes care of that one. I also have to leave for work in about 30 min. so that takes care of the mug and book. It's the thought that counts so I can feel snuggly.

Knitting projects pending right now are the third sweater, a dragon hat for the youngest grandson, and the Fiery Ruched Scarf from the Winter Interweave Knits. I have about 5 rows for the scarf, the sleeves, yoke and hood for the sweater, and about half the hat. I hope to finish all three this month. Then I plan to start the Nana sweater from the cover of IK. I have some beautiful yarn from Haus of Yarn in Nashville and will post a photo as soon as I get a good one taken.

My orchids bloomed this year - in fact the 2 orchids, 3 Christmas Cacti, and 3 African Violets were all in bloom at the same time. That's a first for us. I thin the orchids had a total of 14 blooms and one is shown here. They are both dendrobiums - one standard and one miniature. Both are the same coloring and the blooms are actually the same size.

So until later, enjoy now!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy New Year! Good job on the Wallabys. I have the pattern but haven't cast on for it just yet. Must do soon. As soon as the weather is better, I hope to come your way visiting. I'll let you know as soon as I figure it out. Happy to see an updated post. How's all the lace going?

Peggy said...

AHHHHHHH!!!!! That is a scream. This is a response to three of your posts. The scream is "YOU live 'close' to me now!!!!!" The sweaters are lovely. I have one orchid that is blooming again this year, I love them and want more. I also what a Christmas cactus, used to have one but something happened to it in one of the moves. So good to reconnect!!!!